Call sign certificate

When you install maritime radio equipment or buy a new craft with maritime radio equipment, you must have a call sign certificate. You apply for this from the Danish Maritime Authority.

You must apply for a new call sign certificate in the following cases:

  • When being allocated an MMSI number, call sign, EPIRB
  • When changing the ownership conditions, for example in case of change of ownership or name or address
  • When changing the name of the craft
  • When being admitted to the register of shipping or deleted from the register of shipping
  • When acquiring radio equipment that is not mentioned in the call sign certificate
  • When dismounting radio equipment that is mentioned in the call sign certificate

It is your responsibility, as the owner, that the information in the call sign certificate is in accordance with actual conditions.

Application for call sign certificate

Fill in and forward the application form by email to: Remember to give a 24-7 emergency telephone number of a contact person ashore whom the rescue authorities can contact in case of an emergency. A fee of DKK 720 will be requested for a call sign certificate.
The appliction form is available here.

Time of delivery

The time needed by us to consider your application is short and we will forward your new certificate within a period of two weeks. However, should any information lack in your application, you can expect a longer period for consideration of your case.

Cancellation of call sign

If you want to cancel your call sign, you must forward an email to the Danish Maritime Authority's Customer Service at with information about your call sign and the craft's name and the reason for the cancellation. No fee will be requested for cancelling call signs.

You must have an SRC to be able to operate your radio

In order to operate for example a VHF radio, you must as a minimum have an SRC.
Read more under radio in recreational craft.

Additional information

Telephone: +45 7219 6018

Issue of permit for frequency use of P channels

The issue of permits for frequency use of P channels and maritime land- and earth stations is done by the Danish Business Authority,


A wide number of European countries have concluded a special agreement on the use of VHF radio installations when navigating European rivers (inland waterways). Denmark is not a party to this agreement since it concerns only countries with inland waterways.

Part of the agreement contains mandatory requirements on the coding of VHF radio installations with a specific identification number referred to as the Automatic Transmitter Identification System (ATIS). In some of the countries, the requirement also applies to visiting ships from third countries. The number consists of ten digits and is composed in a specific manner: The MMSI number preceded by the 9 figure. For example, a ship with the MMSI number 220-243-167 will have an ATIS number as follows: 9220-243-167.

Previously ATIS numbers were allocated by and recorded in a country that is a party to the agreement. This is no longer the case and thus the number is not required to be recorded by the Danish Maritime Authority either.

Please observe that, when the ATIS function is connected on the VHF radio, the DSC function is disconnected. Consequently, the ATIS function must be disconnected again when leaving the rivers so that the DSC function operates again when at sea. The DSC function is decisive for the transmission of distress calls.

Just as previously, the MMSI number is allocated by the Danish Maritime Authority in connection with the issue of call sign certificates.

Registration of the emergency transimitter Personal Locator Beacon (PLB - 406 MHz Beacons)

The use of a PLB is not permitted ashore in Denmark. Here you are instead to ask for assistance by telephone through 112.

It is, however, possible to use a PLB outside Denmark in countries that permit the use of these emergency transmitters. They are often countries with desolate areas such as northern Scandinavia. The owner of a PLB must examine in the country in question whether it is permitted to use a PLB emergency transmitter.

A PLB is always required to be registered. Owners of a PLB - with the purpose of using it abroad - must register it. For this purpose, a possibility has been established to register PLBs in the International Beacon Registration Database (IBRD) under the Cospas-Sarsat system.

It should be borne in mind that a PLB intended to be used on board a ship must be registered with the ship's MMSI number issued by the Danish Maritime Authority. By coding a PLB with an MMSI number, a PLB changes its status to an EPIRB to be used by ships as emergency transmitters. Hereby, the transmitter is registered as belonging to the system and thus the rescue authorities have a possibility of identifying the transmitter. ​


72 19 60 00