Radio in recreational craft

If you want to use a maritime VHF radio in Denmark, you must have a certificate for yourself and a call sign certificate for the boat.  


You must, as a minimum, have an SRC certificate (Short Range Certificate) if you want to operate a maritime VHF radio. With an SRC, you are permitted to operate the following radio systems:

  • VHF telephony
  • VHF telephony with DSC
  • EPIRB (emergency position indicating radio beacon)
  • SART (radar transponder)

Previously issued "restricted certificates" still make it possible to operate traditional VHF radio systems without DSC. In addition, you must have a call sign certificate for your craft. When these things are in order, you can install the VHF radio and use it.  Here you can read about call sign certificates.

Registration for radio test

You register for a radio test by submitting the registration form found in the box to the right. The form is also available from the teacher/school. The form should be filled in and a passport photo should be attached. You can send it all by email to or by mail to the Danish Maritime Authority.

Submit your registration well in advance. You will receive an invoice and a confirmation of your participation in the test approx. 1-2 weeks before the test as such. You will have to pay for the test in advance.

A fee of DKK 503 will be requested for participation in an SRC test. The price includes an SRC certificate that will be issued once you have passed the test. An SRC is issued as a plastic card in credit card size. You will receive your certificate within a period of two weeks after having passed the test.

The business-related radio certificates, LRC, ROC and GOC, are also administered by the Danish Maritime Authority.
Here you will find the registration form for the SRC test.​

Passport photo 

The photo must be lifelike and against a white background. In the photo, you must be bare-headed and not wear sunglasses and you must look directly into the camera.

If you forward it by email, it must have a standard picture format, such as jpg, gif, png or tiff. The digital size must be minimum 525x675 pixels. If it is forwarded by mail, the size must be 35 x 45 mm and it must observe the police regulations on passport photos, which are available here (in Danish).

The test

The test for an SRC is held as a written test. In the spring and autumn, tests are held in ten central towns around the country. In addition, it is possible to sit for a test every month in the Copenhagen area. In case of many test participants, it can be necessary to hold the test for two teams.

Sailing clubs, schools and the like can also hold tests on dates other than the ones above. Contact the Danish Maritime Authority well in advance by email: in order to register for such a test.

The Danish Maritime Authority has drawn up guidelines on SRC tests as well as an overview of when and where tests are held (links to guidelines and a list of tests are available from the left-hand corner of this page).

VHF radio or cell phone?

If the ship is in a critical situation and in need of assistance, it is decisive that it can get in contact with shore or other ships in the vicinity. At short distances, either a cell phone or a maritime VHF radio is used.

The Danish Maritime Authority recommends a VHF radio for recreational craft since cell phones are not suitable in emergencies at sea:
  • Cell phones do not have an emergency button that can be used quickly.
  • Emergency calls do not have priority over other calls.
  • Emergency calls do not provide automatic identification and position-fixing.
  • Emergency calls will not automatically reach other ships.
  • Emergency calls from other ships will not be received automatically.
  • There is no function that ensures that emergency calls are automatically directed to a maritime rescue centre.
  • There is not full coverage for cell phones in Danish waters.

If you would like more information, please contact the Danish Pleasure Craft Safety Board.
Information about VHF and cell phones (in danish)

Frequency permit from the Danish Business Authority

If you would like to be issued with a permit for frequency use of P channels and maritime land- and earth stations, you must contact the Danish Business Authority by email:


Kundecenter (KC), SOF Email-postkasse
+45 72 19 60 00