1. Forms and documentation
The following must be e-mailed, in pdf format, to your POC and firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Non-asbestos declaration
- If built (date of delivery) before 1. July 2002, an asbestos investigation/documentation also has to be forwarded. It is prohibited to transfer ships containing asbestos to Danish flag.
- All statutory and class certificates, including current Certificate of Nationality and General Arrangement and Accommodation Plan.
- Noise measurement report
- Contact details and IP address for crewing.
2. For registration of vessel(s)
Use registration form S21 – one for each
vessel. Form S21 must be forwarded with the authorized signatories’ ORIGINAL signatures.
“Title to ship”, Non-Registration/Deletion Certificate from the former flag State
and an R-form in case of a foreign owner as well as a statement of activity are
also requested and must be forwarded to the Registrar of Shipping’s office.
Contact email@example.com or find more information here
registration requires in-depth legal knowledge. Therefore
seek professional legal advice for this process.
3. Mandatory courses and acquisitions to be made
Already at an early stage of the change of flag process,
it may be necessary
to register the crew and
officers for the following
order for them to be able to apply for
their Recognition Certificates in due time:
- Medical care - STCW/EU Certificate
- Foreign masters on board ships flying the Danish flag must always pass the Danish supplementary course. The same course applies to designated medical officers engaged on Danish ships.
- Courses are offered in Denmark, Manila and Mumbai. The Centre of Maritime Health Service offers the courses. You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or directly request for courses
- Occupational health courses (§ 16)
- Danish legislation course for foreign masters
- Danish maritime legislation course for senior officers
List of approved course providers
In addition, the following should be ordered:
- Danish medicine chest
- Please request manuals from Iver C. Weilback, www.weilbach.com
- Pharmacy advice
- For further information, please contact Torben Leth, email@example.com.
4. Danish Recognition Certificate (DRC)
For issuing Danish regocnition certificates (DRC), you need to apply online. At the end of the electronic application form, you need to attach the
If your shipping company uses ship's agents, a letter of approval must be forwarded to Customer Service by email firstname.lastname@example.org, containing information about the ship's agent.
- The following courses must be completed before signing on after a change of flag:
- Medical care course
- Danish maritime legislation course for foreign masters
- § 16 for masters
- If the master is Polish, an ARPA course is required.
- Danish medical certificate (also referred to as the "Blue Book").
- If the master is not from an EU country, the concerned ship needs a dispensation from the Danish Maritime Authority.
- All masters need to send in documentation for GMDSS
- Danish maritime legislation course for senior officers. For officers in charge of navigational/engineering watch, this is not necessary.
- Danish medical certificate (also referred to as a "blue book").
- Documentation for education from a country that is recognized by the DMA.
- If the officer's/crew's education is from a recognized country, but the training institution has not been recognised by the Danish Maritime Authority, an operational interview or assessment is needed.
- All deck officers need to send in documentation for GMDSS.
- If the deck officer is Polish, an ARPA course will also be required.
Questions and guidance, procedures and checklists are available here.
Certificate of Receipt of Application (CRA):
In general, masters and officers
must hold an appropriate Danish Recognition Certificate (DRC).
other than the master can serve on Danish vessels with a CRA without holding a
DRC for a period of three months, if requested by the ship owner, after the
application is submitted and validated by the DMA. For issuing CRA, the DMA needs to receive
documentation that the officer is signed on to the required courses. A CRA is valid for 3 months, and during this time all the required
courses and missing documentation must be put in order, if the crews
are to be able to stay on board the ship. The CRA cannot be extended.
If you have any questions about DRC/CRA, please contact Seafarers, Certificate sand Social Affairs by email: email@example.com.
5. Minimum safe manning document (MSMD)
In order to be issued with a minimum safe manning document, you must fill in an application form online. In order to be able to proceed to sea with a non-EU/EEC master, a special permission must be granted.
For questions regarding safe manning, please contact the Department for Ships, Survey, Certification and Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. DMLC – part I
A DMLC part I must be requested, within 6 months from the change of flag,
to your POC. If there are any exemptions or equivalences, such as common mess
rooms, the owner have to request DMA for approval. DMA will send the request to
the trade unions for a hearing period of two weeks.
7. Bunker certificate
In order to be issued
with a Bunker Certificate, the owner must
fill in an “Application for certificateconfirming insurance or any other guarantee covering civil liability in connection with pollution damage caused by bunker oilfrom ships”. Submit the form together with a copy of
valid Blue Card from the insurance company and proof of payment,
As soon as the Interim Certificate of Nationality has
been issued, this certificate will also
8. Civil Liability certificate
In order to be issued with a Civil Liability Certificate, the owner must fill in an "Application for certificate confirming insurance or any other guarantee covering civil liability for oil pollution damage from ships". Submit the form together with a copy of the valid Blue Card from the insurance company and proof of payment, to email@example.com .
As soon as the Interim Certificate of Nationality has been issued, this certificate will also be issued.
9. Wreck removal certificate
In order to be issued with a Wreck Removal
Certificate, the owner must fill in an “Application for certificate ofinsurance or other financial security in respect of shipowner liability for theof removal wrecks, etc.”.
Submit the form together with a copy of the valid Blue Card from the insurance
company and proof of payment, to firstname.lastname@example.org. As soon as the Interim Certificate of
Nationality has been issued, this certificate will also be issued
10. Continuous Synopsis Record – CSR application
Provide Form 2.
Guidance in English
11. Permit for a ship radio station
In order to be issued with a call sign and a Ship Radio Station License, the owner must fill in and submit the application form for call sign and an MMSI number for ships to the DMA department for radio:
Application form forwarded to email@example.com
12. Registration for being able to sign seafarers on/off
From 1 January 2017, shipowners are no longer
obliged to report the signing on and signing off of seafarers.
13. LRIT Conformance test report
The ship owner shall make sure to provide the
DMA with a conformance test report and contact details to the Company Security