Normally, shootings over the sea, blasts at sea or other types of firing can be carried out if the requirements below are met.
As regards safety of navigation, you must observe the general guidelines for construction works at sea.
If you want to arrange a shooting, you must be aware that the Danish Maritime Authority will only in very special cases impose restrictions on freedom of navigation. Thus, there will not normally be established areas where operation is prohibited due to shootings.
As regards commercial blasts, an area of prohibition will normally be established.
Get the template for the establishment of an area of prohibition.
Guard vessels are often necessary in connection with shootings, blasts or other firings.
Read more about guard vessels
As the organiser of a shooting, blast or other firing at sea, you must ensure that the conditions below can be met. If the conditions cannot be met, you must contact the Danish Maritime Authority - email@example.com - no later than 4-6 weeks in advance.
You must ensure that the following conditions are met:
- Establish a safety area with a sufficient margin within which the blast, shooting or firing as well as debris in this connection can take place.
- The blast, shooting or firing must not be carried out if any type of unauthorised vessel or person is within the safety zone.
- It must be possible to monitor the entire safety area in full. Be observant of kayaks, other small boats or bathers close to the coast.
- The activity must be stopped if the visibility in the area is impaired to below twice the safety distance.
- Inform Notices to Mariners about the event no later than 4-6 weeks beforehand, with information about positions, period, the person responsible, safe distances, etc.
- Ships approaching the area must, insofar as possible, be warned about the future event over the maritime VHF channel 16, by getting at a hailing distance or in some other manner.
- The activity must take place only during the period stated and within the area notified.
- Guard vessels must, in general, be present and fly the "UNIFORM" flag (You are approaching a danger) in connection with shootings, blasts or firings. And they must have direct radio contact with the one in charge of the shooting/blasting ashore.
- Any aids to navigation are made following approval by the Danish Maritime Authority.
- Nothing must be left behind after blasts or firings.
- Inform and clear blasts, etc. beforehand with the nearest local authorities, including the police and ports.
- Nothing in these conditions must prejudice compliance with requirements made by other authorities in connection with shootings, blasts or other firing.