When you want to further qualify yourself through courses and training programmes, it is important to know whom to contact. The responsibility for the maritime training programmes and courses is distributed between the Danish Agency for Higher Education and the Danish Maritime Authority.
In general, the responsibility for long-cycle maritime training programmes rests with the Danish Agency for Higher Education, while the responsibility for short maritime courses rests with the Danish Maritime Authority.
Who is responsible for what?
The Danish Agency for Higher Education:
- Orders on training programmes, educational plans, guidelines and training books
- Supervision of maritime training programmes, including the training ships Danmark and Georg Stage
- The Educational Council for the Maritime Training Programmes
- Subsidies for shipowners in connection with work-experience places as well as study grants for participation in adult and supplementary courses.
Overview of the maritime training institutions and training programmes
In case you have any questions about the maritime training programmes, for example as regards admission requirements, you should contact the Danish Agency for Higher Education:
The Danish Agency for Higher Education - Maritime training programmes
The Danish Maritime Authority:
- Obligations under the STCW
- Certificates of competency and certificates of proficiency
- Maritime courses on, for example, radio, maritime safety, simulator training and tanker safety
- Training programmes for yachtsmen
- Training programme for commercial divers
- Mandatory courses in medical care at sea
Under "Educational plans" and "Approval of schools and courses", there is an overview of the courses and the course providers approved by the Danish Maritime Authority.
Be approved as a course provider
In order to be approved as a course provider, the company must, inter alia, have a quality management system in order to ensure that the learning objectives of the course activity are met. Read more about the approval below:
Order on the approval and quality assurance of maritime training programmes