Seagoing service

Seagoing service

​​​​​As a seafarer, you are responsible for recording your seagoing service before applying for certificates. Here, you can read more about seagoing service and find guidelines for how to record your seagoing service.

What is seagoing service?

Seagoing service is the period for which you have signed on board a ship as a seafarer. Seagoing service is used as the basis for the issuance of certificates of competency and certificates of proficiency. You can record your seagoing service on My page.

Why must I record my seagoing service?

Shipowners are no longer obliged to report the signing on and signing off of seafarers. Seagoing service that has been reported by shipowners will be listed in your overview. If the seagoing service does not figure on your overview, the Danish Maritime Authority has not received a report. Therefore, you must type in any missing periods of service – compare with your discharge book/record of seagoing service.

You can report each individual signing on and off or for a total period. If you record your seagoing service for a total period, you yourself must state the effective seagoing service.

When am I required to report my seagoing service?

You are not required to report seagoing service on an ongoing basis. You may choose not to report your seagoing service until immediately prior to an application for a new certificate.

Documentation of seagoing service

When you have recorded your seagoing service and applied for a certificate, you may be subjected to random control. This means that you must document the periods of signing on and signing off recorded on "My page" to the Danish Maritime Authority before it is possible to issue you with a certificate. Documentation is uploaded on "My page".

Acceptable as documentation is a record of seagoing service or a copy of your discharge book.

You can use the Danish Maritime Authority's template for a record of seagoing service. In case other templates are used, they must as a minimum contain the same information. The record of seagoing service is not to be signed by the seafarer himself; rather, the shipowner, the employer or the master is required to sign it.

Log in to "My page"

You must log on by means of NemID. Foreign seafarers and others not having a NemID can log in by means of a user name/password. Subsequently, you need to contact the Danish Maritime Authority by telephone, +45 72 19 60 15, in order to have your information connected to your user profile.

My locked seagoing service is incorrect - how do I correct this?

In case of incorrect seagoing service, you are to write an email to, stating the incorrect seagoing service and attaching documentation of the correct seagoing service; subsequently, your seagoing service will be corrected by an employee at the Danish Maritime Authority.

In connection with future email enquiries, please leave out sensitive information, such as your social security number, since the internet connection is not encrypted. However, if you do submit documentation containing your social security number, please cover the last four digits.

Further assistance

Further assistance is available from "My page" under Help. We have also made four video guidelines that will guide you fast through the functions. See these below under "Related contents".



Seafarers, Certification and Social Affairs
+45 72 19 60 15