Houseboats and other ships

​The requirements applicable to your houseboat depend on how it is used. It can be used either for private habitation or for commercial purposes.

Many of the regulations applicable to private habitation and commercial purposes are the same. But if the houseboat is used for commercial purposes, a number of additional regulations must be met. Commercial purposes include, for example, museums, restaurants, hotels or discotheques.

Register your houseboat

Houseboats must be registered. You apply for registration with the Register of Shipping.

See how to register your houseboat here

Special requirements may apply to foreign houseboats imported from abroad.​

What is a houseboat?

Houseboats are floating units that are permanently moored in a port and that are used for private habitation or for commercial purposes. In order to be referred to as a houseboat, the use must be of a permanent nature.

The Danish Maritime Authority is responsible for the approval and inspection of the houseboat's stability, hull design, various tanks and removal of the houseboat. The rules on this are available from  technical regulation on the stability, buoyancy, etc. of houseboats and floating structures..

The approval and inspection work is performed by individuals/companies authorised by the Danish Maritime Authority.

​Find the list of authorised persons and companies here..

The authorised individual or company can often assist with questions beyond the area of authorisation.


Ship Survey, Certification and Manning